- Domenicali: “We are confident”
- Horner: “The sport must stand up”
- Domenicali denies rumors around driver
- Damon Hill: “The Formula 1 plays with the fire”
The decision of Formula 1 leadership, the teams and the organizer, despite the close explosion at the discharge of the great price of Saudi Arabia (Sunday, 19.00 clock in the Liveticker) seems to be unchanged.
“Ready and totally focused for tomorrow’s qualifying,” tweeted Red-Bull Pilot Sergio Perez after the end of the pilot’s meeting, which apparently not closed as a group not closed behind the decision of the top. The topstars remained silent in the social media.
As among other things, the BBC and SKY UK reported, after heating discussions, the pilots were also taken to continue the race weekend.
The third free training is scheduled on Saturday for 3 pm (in the Liveticker), previously routinely at 12.30 clock a press conference with selected team bosses scheduled.
“The authorities have confirmed that the event can be continued as planned,” the Formula 1 had initially communicated on Friday night. Afterwards Formula 1 Managing Director Stefano Domenicali, FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem and the local authorities received the drivers and team bosses.
Domenicali: “We are confident”
“We have received the full assurance that the country is in the first place for the country,” said Domenicali after this meeting.
The Saudi Responsible Had “all necessary systems set up to protect this area, the city and the places we drive. So we are confident. For this reason we will continue the event.”
Yemeni Huthi rebels had attacked an oil refinery on Friday afternoon near the racetrack in Jidda and thus enlarged the worries about safety at the Grand Prix of Saudi Arabia. During the first free workout on the Jeddah Corniche Circuit was suddenly to see a big cloud of smoke after an explosion, it smelled of burned oil.
The second free training was started with a quarter of an hour delay, according to the unit, all media appointments of the driver were canceled.
Horner: “The sport must stand up”
“That there are these attacks here in Jeddah, is clear,” said Red Bull Motorsport Consultant Helmut Marko: “The rebels know exactly what event takes place this weekend and want to use the stage of course. But as long as the safety of the formula 1 can be guaranteed, we should drive. “
And Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said at SKY: “Team boss has been assured that we are protected here. That’s probably the safest place where you can be in Saudi Arabia right now. That’s why we’ll drive.”
Similarly, Red-Bull team boss Christian Horner said: “Sports must come together. Any active terror can not be tolerated. A situation like this is unacceptable. Stefano Domenicali and the FIA President take care of it. There are all guarantees from the Organizers. We will drive. “
Domenicali denies rumors around driver
Automotive World Association Chief Ben Sulayem tried to appease: “What are the Huthis? On the economic infrastructure, not on civilians and not on the racetrack.”
They have “the facts tested and at high level the assurance that this place is safe. The security is guaranteed, so let us race,” the 60-year-old added.
Domenicali demonstrated a little later the rumor that some drivers did not want to continue. “You will be on the track, you will see,” the Italian assured.
Damon Hill: “The Formula 1 plays with the fire”
Meanwhile, SKY -Experte Ralf Schumacher assumes that on the formula 1 large pressure is loaded – and the race should therefore be pushed through. Allegedly, the royal class from the Saudis concases around $ 900 million for ten years.
“It’s about political influence and a lot of money. Formula 1 has a long-term contract and does not want to risk that,” says Schumacher, who has made his way home after attacks. An appropriate post on Instagram confirmed such rumors. In addition, according to Bild, SKY commentator Sascha Roose and reporter Sandra Baumgartner have started the journey home. In addition, all other journalists be released whether they will remain in Saudi Arabia due to the circumstances.
Articles and videos about the topic
* Three things that did: is Ferrari already a title candidate?
* F1: That’s how it goes after the explosion
* “Crazy”: Hamilton criticizes Saudi Arabia
* Top sport live on Dazn. Register now! Can be terminated at any time monthly.
“The Formula 1 literally plays with the fire,” said the former F1 pilot Damon Hill. After all, according to Wolff, the team was released whether you want to participate in the race or not.